In 1818, a plot of land was obtained for the erection of a building to be used as a church for all religious groups and as a town house for various civic meetings. For more than forty years numerous denominational societies worshipped in this common church building until they erected their individual churches. The Congregationalists, organized in 1818, built their church in 1839. The Methodists built their church in 1841.
The Universalists, organized in 1830, secured title to the land, moved the town house building to a new location, and on this site built a new church of NewEngland colonial style. It was completed in 1863 at a c ost of $12,000. An organ of W.B. Simmons style was bought in Boston and installed in the balcony in 1864,
costing an additional $1,700.
In 1918 the three existing religious groups along with members of the Baptist society, recognized the need for a more cooperative effort. It was decided to federate and hold joint services with a single minister. In 1920 the churches united, dissolved their individual societies, and formed the Stowe Community Church.
The Universalist Church was kept as the best edifice and the Congregational Parsonage (circa 1850) was retained as the residence for the minister. Thus, the Stowe Community Church became one of the first non-denominational churches in the United States
Photograph on this page by Teresa Merelman
Our History and Current Ministry
STOWE AND MORE ABOUT OUR CHURCH
Stowe, and the surrounding area, is a world-renowned resort community. Outdoor recreation is at the core of life here and is reflected in our membership. Of course, there are families who live here year-round, but equally important is a population of “snowbirds” who travel south for the winter, second homeowners and tourists.
SCC offers a Sunday service at 9:30am. This service is filled with the time-honored hymns and traditions of a more formal worship service, both in-person and livestreamed.
Our salaried staff includes our minister, administrative assistant, organist/choir director, Christian education director, and two contemporary worship musicians.